Here's our boat!

Here's our boat!
Aunt Aggie is a 35 foot Mainship Trawler.

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Windy!

Joy in the morning!  This is the scene at 9:00 am from our boat.  Beautiful sunny day.


Today has been a day at the beach.  Literally.  We did some work in the morning and then packed up books, drinks and sunscreen, carried our chairs, and went to the beach.  On the way we stopped for a late lunch at a Mexican restaurant.  Delicious.  There were lots more people on the beach today than yesterday.  College kids and music filled the space.  We sat with our backs to the wind and read.
After a brisk walk, we came home at 4:00 pm.

Last night was a different story.  The wind and waves built up as the evening progressed, and I did not sleep.  Here is what I wrote in the night:

I am awake at 1:30 am writing this.  We both woke up when loud and deep waves seemed to hit the side of Aunt Aggie.  Even though we are at a face dock, tied securely, we are bouncing.  We have four fenders keeping us off the wall at Sea Path Marina in Wrightsville Beach.  The wind has picked up steadily.  Now the Weather Channel says we have 24 mph winds, which seems about right.  The wind is gusting and howling.  I tried my new ear plugs, but I can't get those to work.  I played several games of Words with Friends, but even my son in San Francisco has finally gone to bed.  So what to do?  It is too wild to sleep.  The sky is clearing.  There are white caps in the channel beside us.  I wonder if other people on nearby boats are sleeping.  Since George is snoozing, I know it is possible.

When we came home from the beach today at 4:00, the wind was blowing, and waves were slapping the side of the boat again.  I was upset.  Can I trust the Weather Channel's prediction of less than 10mph wind for tonight?  As dark comes on, I do not want to find myself closed up in a boat that is rocked by loud waves.  I always wonder if everyone else on the dock has gone to a hotel. This extra wind is because we chose to be close to the beach.  My love affair with the beach may be ending.  Or maybe it's just on hold until I can finish the loop and return to renting beach houses.  They don't rock.


No comments:

Post a Comment