Here's our boat!

Here's our boat!
Aunt Aggie is a 35 foot Mainship Trawler.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Five great things about Las Olas.

We are staying at Las Olas, and we can walk two blocks to Ft. Lauderdale's famous beach.

We slept fine last night.  The bridge openings stopped with nightfall, and the wakes from passing boats came to an end also.  It was a quiet night here at Las Olas Marina under the bridge.  This morning I did three loads of laundry and enjoyed talking to Judy Schwarz and Anne Murff.  After lunch we went to the beach.

I washed all our caps and dried them out here.
We spent all afternoon at the beach.  It was great fun.  I am reading I Know this much is True by Wally Lamb.  It has finally gotten to a compelling point in the story.  I found the first half rough and depressing, but now I'm reading it with relish.  What a pleasure to look up every half hour and see the blue sky and the beach full of people! Which brings me to a question:  Where are all these 
beachcombers coming from?  There are tons of young people and retirees and some kids too here today.  Is it winter break?  Have people evacuated Boston?  I would not blame them.  
We sat in the shade of a palm tree.

We took a good walk and ate ice cream cones and read more.  Then we came home to the marina and found Blue Willow with Mark and Vicki Hill had arrived.  We have neighbors!  So glad to see them here.  I am now a Las Olas fan.  Here are five great things about Las Olas Marina:
1.  There is a clean and well maintained laundry room with six washers and dryers.
2.  They recycle here.  We had saved a bag of recyclables, and we were able to dispose of it.
3.  The people, both dockhand and boaters, were helpful yesterday when we docked in a high wind.  They grabbed our lines and helped us get into the slip.
4.  The bathroom/shower room is clean and private.
5.  The BEACH is just two blocks away.  Yahoo!

Do you remember belting out, "Where the boys are?"  That was an iconic song from my early adolescence.  Today I learned that Leslie Gore has died.  "It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to..."  These women were strong singers .
I remember singing their songs with the hairbrush microphone and fantasizing about being older.

This is a terrific piece of art at the beach entrance.
                               

No comments:

Post a Comment