Here's our boat!

Here's our boat!
Aunt Aggie is a 35 foot Mainship Trawler.

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Lake Michigan kicks our Butt



 I tried to get a photo of the 4 - 5 foot waves coming at us, 
but you can never see the depth.  

Forecast:  Light winds with waves 2 feet or less.
Reality:  The forecast held true for 2.5 hours in the morning.  We left Leland at 7:00 am and found quiet seas with 2 foot swells.  Around 9:30 am the waves built, and we saw whitecaps forming. Then
we got 3 and 4 foot waves on our bow.  Once they built to this height, they never backed off.
There was no break between the waves.  Pound, pound, pound - they came one after another for the next three hours, 3,4, and 5 footers.

We had planned to go to Arcadia, a 55 mile trip. Starting at 9:45 am, I got messages from Penny Pinchin' and Tranquility that they were getting pounded. We were too. What was this?  Why was this happening?  Tranquility and I Think I Can decided to leave the lake at Manistee instead of going to Luddington. We couldn't stop before Frankfort.  I called the marina at Frankfort and asked for a slip. Then we continued.

George did a great job, driving straight into the waves.  He kept us on course and going about 8 mph.
I had to drive once when he went for a bathroom break, and it was pretty exciting.

My joy in reaching Frankfort was only matched by my tiredness.  The adrenaline left me worn out.  We took a long nap and also greeted lots of loopers coming in to the marina.  Many had longer days than we did with strong waves. Some are just arriving.

The good news is that at this point on the lake there are many marinas just 10 - 30 miles apart.  We are not sure about tomorrow's forecast and our plans. It's getting hard to trust the forecast.

View off the front of Aunt Aggie is the Public Library!


View from the stern is a peaceful mooring field.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wild ride. So glad George is skillful in this. I would have had my head under the covers (where it is safe). Thinking about you as you continue. Mother Nature sure keeps things interesting.

    ReplyDelete