Here's our boat!

Here's our boat!
Aunt Aggie is a 35 foot Mainship Trawler.

Friday, June 12, 2015

Poughkeepsie to Catskill, NY





 View from our boat last night at Shadows Marina, Poughkeepsie, NY.
The lights on the bridge are blue.

Yesterday and this morning we were at Shadows Marina.  The star of that show is Captain Keith, the dock master. He tied our boat and set our fenders and ordered us around to secure Aunt Aggie.  We were happy.  We did get waked twice big time - crashing dishes and drama.  Otherwise, a quiet night.  We walked to the Mid-Hudson Bridge, but the elevator was being serviced, so we did not walk another mile to get onto the bridge.  It is an old railway bridge that is now a pedestrian park.  Anyway, we got exercise before dinner.

After I took the picture above, I turned around and saw George inside the boat, washing dishes.  It was a sweet, everyday moment of our life.  

George is a faster washer than I.  

This morning we waited til 8:30 to ask Captain Keith to help us leave the dock.  The current was rushing past the boat, and we feared that we would not have control once we loosed our lines.  He came out quickly.  George said,"What's your vision, Keith?"  Keith paused but did not share the vision. 
 Instead he said, "Captain, get on the helm."  George moved to the helm.
To me, he said, "You will help me." He untied a fender and told me to tie it mid-ship on the port side. I did.
He untied lines and handed them to me.  He held onto the bow line.  He told George how to move the boat.  "Give it one bump in reverse, Captain." The boat backed along the dock.  Keith pulled the bow in.  The stern swung out, and the current caught and pulled it.  Now our boat was perpendicular to the dock.
"Wait.  Now give it a bump in forward, Captain."
We did a few more maneuvers according to his directions, and voila´ we were facing the correct direction.  George slowly drove Aunt Aggie out of the marina.  Woohoo!  We learn from everyone we meet.  We also appreciate them.  I shouted thanks to Captain Keith, and we were on our way for the day.   

As we moved north on the Hudson River, we passed barges and a couple of pleasure boats.  We passed FDR's house at Hyde Park and the Culinary Institute of America and a seminary that had been active for 100 years.  We saw lighthouses too.  

These are actually houses with the light almost beside the house. 

Since we never cruise at night, I don't know if these are still operating. 

In the early afternoon, we docked at Catskill Marina.  It is lovely: quiet and shady and small.  It reminds me of places we visited when we were children in the country. We came down a creek, and the dock master waited for us and reeled us in.  We took a dunk in the pool today.  The 72 degree water was refreshing.  We read at poolside.  I have a James Patterson book, which grew on me.  My mother and sister Susan always read him, so I picked this up at a laundry room and am enjoying the story.  We're staying two nights here.  I am eager to walk downtown and explore. We are headed out for Friday night supper as soon as I take a shower.  Happy Friday!

The view behind the boat

No comments:

Post a Comment