Here's our boat!

Here's our boat!
Aunt Aggie is a 35 foot Mainship Trawler.

Thursday, December 11, 2014

We made it to the beach today!

We had a lazy morning at Uncle Henry's Marina on Gasparilla Island.  As I was walking to the bathroom, I heard a snort and saw the back of a manatee.  Waited, but he was under water.  After my trip to the restroom, I came back to slip #51, and there he was.  I went to get George, and the big guy was still there when we returned.  We stayed and watched and filmed.  Three manatees came into the slip.  They are slow moving, brown fellows.  This was my first time to see a manatee's face, and I did note the trunk look.  "Are manatees related to elephants?" I asked Google.  Yes, elephants are their closest relations now.  So cool.  Enjoy these movies. (Movie had to be removed in order to print this.)

We motored over to Cayo Costa State Park and anchored in Pelican Bay.  The entrance is shallow, but we got in fine.  There are several sail boats here too.  We paddled our dinghy over to the park, walked to the beach and found shells.  It was warm enough at 3:00 pm to go barefoot.

The path to the gulf

The water colors are lovely.

I wanted this shell, but another animal had already claimed it.

Feels lucky to find a whole sand dollar.

The view as we left to walk back to the dock.
When we arrived at the park, we were just in time for the tram ride to the beach side.  A young French couple was with us.  They were camping for 8 days, and their stuff filled the truck that was pulling the tram.  We helped them unload at the campground and then walked to the beach.

Just now we heard a horn sound.  It is a guy standing on a sailboat just beside us (anchored a bit too close, really) blowing on a conch shell.  Where are we?  Is this the islands?  Does that signal happy hour?
I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment