Here's our boat!

Here's our boat!
Aunt Aggie is a 35 foot Mainship Trawler.

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Annapolis - the last day.


Sailboats race here on Wednesday evenings.

We returned to Annapolis yesterday after spending five good days in Atlanta.  We didn't get to see everyone in such a short visit, but we did spend time with some friends, our granddaughters, George's mom and sister, and our daughter-in-law, Jessie.  We will return in June and try to catch up with others then.

We settled back in on the boat and then went for dinner with looper friends from Blue Willow and Roundabout.  It was fun to hear stories of crazy nights at anchor and flooding on the Mississippi River last fall. We laughed and commiserated. The Mississippi is still far enough in my future that I can't imagine doing it.  I've noted that I always focus on the next big body of water.  Now that we feel relaxed on the Chesapeake Bay, I am thinking about Delaware Bay.  Is this a healthy habit or a weird one?  

We cleaned up today and prepared for our company, Cathe Echterhoff and Tom Branch, who are on their way to Aunt Aggie right now in an Uber car.  Yahoo!  Company is coming.  We will show off Annapolis and also travel the last bit of the Chesapeake together.  Cathe wants to see Delaware, so that's the next adventure.  

When we arrived yesterday, this Mama and eight ducklings greeted us.  I think they live under our dock.  

We've had our adventure for today.  We were asked to move Aunt Aggie, so a sailboat with a nine foot draft could use our spot.  As sometimes happens, the dock hand was moving faster than I was, so I did not have time to reset lines and fenders before we were backing out of the slip.  We had been right beside a bridge.  Our plan was to walk the boat back and then move into the creek. However,  the wind was high and had other ideas.  Aunt Aggie was pushed into the bridge pilings and under the bridge, which is only 14 feet tall.  I heard a thunk. George did great, backing up and staying calm.  I had to push us off the pilings on our stern.  Very upsetting.  As we moved to the new slip, people came out on their boats to watch and reassure us.  "You're fine."  

"No," I said.  "We just hit up there.  I am not fine."  We did fit in the new slip, set our lines and fenders, reconnected electricity, and I stopped shaking.  Aunt Aggie hit just on the pulpit and shows no real damage.  But that was bad!  

At least we did that move without company on board.  Tomorrow we will have an easier exit.  

Tonight we can watch the races again.

No comments:

Post a Comment